If you are dealing with chronic pain you are not alone. Chronic pain affects millions of people around the world, and it can make it difficult to enjoy your daily activities or even get through the day. However, there is hope for those suffering from chronic pain. Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive, drug-free treatment option that can help relieve pain and improve function in people with a variety of conditions.
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive medical treatment that uses high-energy sound waves to stimulate healing in damaged tissues. The treatment is delivered using a handheld device that delivers the sound waves to the affected area. Shockwave therapy is often used to treat musculoskeletal conditions such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, tennis elbow, and shoulder pain.
How Does Shockwave Therapy Work?
The high-energy sound waves delivered during shockwave therapy stimulate the body’s natural healing processes. This includes increased blood flow to the affected area, the formation of new blood vessels, and the release of growth factors and other chemicals that promote tissue repair.
The sound waves also help to break down scar tissue and promote the regeneration of healthy tissue. In addition, shockwave therapy can help to reduce inflammation and improve nerve function in the affected area.
What Conditions Can Be Treated with Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy is often used to treat musculoskeletal conditions such as:
- Plantar fasciitis: a common condition that causes pain and inflammation in the heel of the foot.
- Achilles tendonitis: a condition that causes pain and inflammation in the Achilles tendon.
- Tennis elbow: a condition that causes pain and inflammation in the elbow.
- Shoulder pain: a common condition that causes pain and stiffness in the shoulder.
Shockwave therapy can also be used to treat other conditions such as:
- Erectile dysfunction: shockwave therapy can help to improve blood flow to the penis, which can improve erectile function in men with erectile dysfunction.
- Chronic pelvic pain: shockwave therapy can help to improve blood flow and reduce inflammation in the pelvic area, which can help to relieve chronic pelvic pain.
- Chronic wounds: shockwave therapy can help to stimulate the formation of new blood vessels and promote tissue regeneration, which can help to heal chronic wounds.
Is Shockwave Therapy Painful?
Shockwave therapy is generally well-tolerated, but some people may experience mild discomfort during the treatment. The level of discomfort can vary depending on the individual and the area being treated. Your pain management clinic in Melbourne will be able to advise you on what to expect during your treatment.
How Many Treatments Are Required?
The number of shockwave therapy treatments required will depend on the condition being treated and the individual’s response to the treatment. Most people require several treatments, usually spaced one to two weeks apart. The number of treatments can range from three to six, although some people may require more.
What Are the Benefits of Shockwave Therapy?
The benefits of shockwave therapy include:
- Non-invasive: shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment option that does not require surgery or medication.
- Effective: shockwave therapy has been shown to be effective in relieving pain and improving function in people with a variety of conditions.
- Safe: shockwave therapy is a safe treatment option with minimal side effects.
- Fast: shockwave therapy is a fast treatment option that typically only takes a few minutes per session.
- Long-lasting: shockwave therapy can provide long-lasting relief from pain and other symptoms.
Where Can I Get Shockwave Therapy in Melbourne?